Lakshmi’s Backpack

Lakshmi’s Backpack 

5th grade was done and I was finally ready to go to 6th grade. For summer reading, my school recommended a book named Finding Someplace. The year is 2005, and Reesie Boone is excitedly waiting for her 13th birthday. Then tragedy strikes. Hurricane Katrina is on its way to her home, New Orleans. In a rush, Reesie is forced to choose what items she actually needs. Packing up important files, her phone, and more she sets off. Little does she know, she returns as a smarter, experienced, and different individual.

Reading that book got me thinking. What if I was in Reesie’s situation? What if I was forced to choose only a few items to take with me? What would I do? Thinking about it for a while, I decided I would go to my room and see what items were important to me. And I did. I told myself that I would pack my phone with extra batteries (in case it runs out of charge), pack food and water sufficient for at least a week, a whistle to signal for help, a flashlight (to see in the dark), a tent (to sleep in), extra clothes including a jacket and shoes, first aid kit, and my passport. Of course, hopefully, I’ll never be in a natural disaster situation. After reading this book though, if I ever am, I’ll be prepared.